Novell announced today a major upgrade to the Mono developer platform – Mono 2.8, which includes new features, stability fixes, performance work and bug fixes.
During the follow weeks I will update my Ubuntu VM and Windows 7 with this version, and of course update my Delphi Prism projects.
The highlights of this release include:
- C# 4.0
- Defaults to the 4.0 profile
- New Generational Garbage Collector
- Use mono --gc=sgen or mono-sgen to use Mono with the new GC
- New Frameworks from Mono MIT X11 and Microsoft MS-PL/Apache2:
- ASP.NET 4.0
- Parallel Framework: including PLINQ.
- Managed Extensibility Framework
- ASP.NET MVC 2
- System.Data.Services.Client (OData client framework)
- WCF Routing
- .NET 4.0’s CodeContracts
- Large performance improvements
- LLVM support has graduated to stable
- Use mono-llvm command to run your server loads with the LLVM backend
- Version 2.0 of the embedding API
- Removed the 1.1 profile and various deprecated libraries.
- OpenBSD support integrated
- Mono no longer depends on GLIB
- Threadpool exception behavior .NET 2.0
For the full details, check our detailed Mono 2.8 Release Notes